WASHINGTON – Providence Health System is transitioning out of providing acute care services and into providing services like telehealth/virtual care, home care, care coordination, primary and urgent care, community-based behavioral health care, senior care and more.
The health system plans to make the transition by the end of 2018 to better align the services it provides with the evolving needs of the District of Columbia, said Keith Vander Kolk, CEO and president of Providence Health System, in a statement this week.
“We know that 15% of a person’s life is spent in actual health care, which means the remaining 85% is spent in other areas that either positively or negatively impact their overall well-being,” he said. “That is where the greatest opportunity to make meaningful change lies, and we must put our focus and energy on advancing a model of transformation that will serve the District in new and lasting ways.”
The health system plans to work with civic leaders, representatives of the District of Columbia Hospital Association, DC Health, other health care leaders, physician leaders, board members, and Providence physicians and associates on transition plans to ensure it meets the needs of the community, as well as support associates, physicians and volunteers throughout the process.
Vander Kolk said that in planning the transition, Providence Health System engaged with community leaders and experts and were confident that the area had plenty of high-quality acute health care providers to serve the needs of the community.
“We are confident our community will continue to be served at the highest level,” said Eugenia Powell, administrator and vide president of patient care services at Providence Health System, in a statement.
Vander Kolk said Providence Health System and its parent organization, Ascension, will remain in Washington, D.C., and continue to provide care for the community throughout the transformation. Task forces representing associates and physicians throughout Providence will have a voice in defining targeted transition plans for the future state of Providence. While acute care services will close, these task forces will also review plans for all other services, such as Carroll Manor, Providence’s skilled nursing facility, which will continue to operate uninterrupted as part of Ascension Living, the senior living and care division of Ascension.
“Over the years, Providence has adapted to the changing needs of the community,” said Vander Kolk. “Our future transformation is a continuation of that legacy and our commitment to serve the community where and how we are most needed.”